Timofeeva L.A., Nasrullayev M.N., Aleshina T.N., Zhirnova D.G.
Comparative Analysis of Multiparametric Ultrasound Techniques in the Differential Diagnosis of Thyroid Cancer
The aim of the study is to determine the value of multiparametric ultrasound examination in the differential diagnosis of thyroid cancer. The results of a multiparametric ultrasound examination performed in 219 patients with thyroid cancer at the stage of preoperative assessment are analyzed. There were 123 patients with papillary thyroid cancer, 96 patients with follicular thyroid cancer. All patients underwent multiparametric ultrasound examination in grey-scale mode, color Doppler mapping mode and elastography mode: compression elastography and shear wave elastography. In papillary thyroid cancer, two–color staining was found in 13.4% of cases, three–color staining – in 19.3%, four-color staining – in 28.7%, five-color staining – in 26.4%, six–color staining – in 12.2%. The pattern was dominated by "cold" tones. The velocity of the shear wave was 4.61±1.33 m/s (95% CI), Young's modulus was 63.3±14.7 kPa (95% CI), the elasticity index (strain ratio) was 4.89±1.65 (95% CI) c.u. The color scheme of follicular thyroid cancer was characterized by patchiness, the presence of both rigid and elastic areas. In 2 cases (14.3%) there was two-color staining, in 4 (28.6%) – three-color staining, in 8 (57.1%) – four-color and five-color staining. The velocity of the shear wave was 4,53±1,25 m/s (95% CI), Young's modulus was 62,1±12,1 kPa (95% CI), the elasticity index (strain ratio) was 3,76±0,76 (95% CI) c.u. Thus, the study showed that the complex use of multiparametric ultrasound examination techniques (B-mode, color Doppler mapping, compression elastography, shear wave elastography) is highly informative and should be used in the differential diagnosis of thyroid cancer in the preoperative assessment. Thus, the performed examination showed that the complex application of multiparametric ultrasound techniques (V, mode, CDM, CEG, ESP) is highly informative and should be used in the differential diagnosis of thyroid cancer in the preoperative period.
- Aleksandrov Yu.K., Yanovskaya E.A., Shubin L.B., Dyakiv A.D. Effektivnost’ stratifikatsionnykh sistem v diagnostike uzlovykh zabolevanii shchitovidnoi zhelezy [Effectiveness of stratification systems in the diagnosis of nodular diseases of the thyroid gland]. Problemy endokrinologii, 2019, vol. 65, no. 4, pp.216–226.
- Borsukov A.V. Byt’ ili ne byt’ TI-RADS: polemicheskie zametki s Evraziiskogo foruma po raku shchitovidnoi zhelezy [To be or not to be TI-RADS: polemical notes from the Eurasian Forum on Thyroid Cancer]. Endokrinnaya khirurgiya, 2016, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 33–36.
- Mit’kov V.V. Prakticheskoe rukovodstvo po ul’trazvukovoi diagnostike. Obshchaya ul’trazvukovaya diagnostika. 3-e izd., pererab. i dop. [A practical guide to ultrasound diagnostics. General ultrasound diagnostics. 3rd ed]. Moscow, Vidar-M Publ., 2019, 756 p.
- Sencha A.N., Sencha E.A., Penyaeva E.I., Timofeeva L.A. Ul’trazvukovoe issledovanie shchitovidnoi zhelezy. Shag za shagom. Ot prostogo k slozhnomu [Ultrasound examination of the thyroid gland. Step by step. From simple to complex]. Moscow, MEDpress-inform Publ., 2019, 208 p.
- Sinyukova G.T., Gudilina E.A., Danzanova T.Yu., Sholokhov V.N. et al. Sovremennye tekhnologii ul’trazvukovoi vizualizatsii v diagnostike mestnogo retsidiva raka shchitovidnoi zhelezy [Modern ultrasound imaging technologies in the diagnosis of local recurrence of thyroid cancer]. Mezhdunarodnyi nauchno-issledovatel’skii zhurnal, 2016, vol. 9-3, no. 51, pp. 81–84.
- Timofeeva L.A., Sencha A.N., Tukhbatullin M.G., Shubin L.B. Sovremennye aspekty ul’trazvukovoi elastografii v differentsial’noi diagnostike uzlovykh novoobrazovanii shchitovidnoi zhelezy [Modern aspects of ultrasound elastography in the differential diagnosis of nodular neoplasms of the thyroid gland]. Rossiiskii elektronnyi zhurnal luchevoi diagnostiki, 2019, vol. 9, no. 3. S. 30–40. DOI: 10.21569/2222-7415-2019-9-3-30-40.
- Timofeeva L.A. Differentsial’naya diagnostika uzlovykh novoobrazovanii shchitovidnoi zhelezy: mul’tiparametricheskoe ul’trazvukovoe issledovanie v paradigme stratifikatsionnykh riskov: dis. … d-ra med. nauk [Differential diagnosis of nodular neoplasms of the thyroid gland: multiparametric ultrasound in the paradigm of stratification risks: Doct. Diss.]. Moscow, 2019, 329 p.
- Tukhbatullin M.G., Safiullina L.R., Galeeva Z.M., Khamzina F.T. et al. Ekhografiya v diagnostike zabolevanii vnutrennikh i poverkhnostno raspolozhennykh organov [Echography in the diagnosis of diseases of internal and superficially located organs]. Kazan, Meditsinskaya kniga Publ., 2016, 208 p.
- Kuo T.C., Wu M.H., Chen K.Y., Hsieh M.S., Chen A., Chen C.N. Ultrasonographic features for differentiating follicular thyroid carcinoma and follicular adenoma. Asian J Surg., 2020, vol. 43, no. 1, pp. 339–346. DOI: 10.1016/j.asjsur.2019.04.016.
- Li W., Song Q., Lan Y., Li J., Zhang Y., Yan L., Li Y., Zhang Y., Luo Y. The Value of Sonography in Distinguishing Follicular Thyroid Carcinoma from Adenoma. Cancer Manag Res., 2021, vol. 17, no. 13, pp. 3991–4002. DOI: 10.2147/CMAR.S307166.
- Sencha A.N., Patrunov Yu.N., Pavlovich S.V., Timofeyeva L.A., Tukhbatullin M.G., Smetnik A.A. Current State of the Problem of Thyroid Diseases: Principles and Technology of Thyroid Ultrasound. In: Thyroid Ultrasound. From Simple to Complex. Cham, Springer Verlag, 2019, pp. 1–38.
- Seo J.K., Kim Y.J., Kim K.G., Shin I., Shin J.H., Kwak J.Y. Differentiation of the Follicular Neoplasm on the Gray-Scale US by Image Selection Subsampling along with the Marginal Outline Using Convolutional Neural Network. Biomed Res Int., 2017, vol. 2017, 3098293. DOI: 10.1155/2017/3098293.
- Timofeeva Lyubov A.
- Doctor of Medical Sciences, Professor, Department of Propedaedeutics of Internal Diseases with Radio Diagnosis Course, Chuvash State University, Russia, Cheboksary (email@example.com; ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-4707-8214)
- Nasrullayev Magomed N.
- Doctor of Medical Sciences, Professor, Department of Surgery, Kazan State Medical Academy, Russia, Kazan (firstname.lastname@example.org; ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-6176-9372)
- Aleshina Tatiana N.
- Assistant Lecturer, Department of Propedaedeutics of Internal Diseases with Radio Diagnosis Course, Chuvash State University, Russia, Cheboksary (email@example.com; ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-5068-7598)
- Zhirnova Daria G.
- Resident, Department of Propaedeutics of Internal Medicine with a Course of Radiation Diagnostics, Chuvash State University, Russia, Cheboksary )
Timofeeva L.A., Nasrullayev M.N., Aleshina T.N., Zhirnova D.G. Comparative Analysis of Multiparametric Ultrasound Techniques in the Differential Diagnosis of Thyroid Cancer [Electronic resource] // Acta medica Eurasica. – 2022. – №3. P. 47-53. – URL: https://acta-medica-eurasica.ru/en/single/2022/3/6/. DOI: 10.47026/2413-4864-2022-3-47-53.