Timofeeva N.Yu., Stomenskaya I.S., Kostrova O.Yu.
Hypothyroidism in the Practice of a General Practitioner
Thyroid pathology is widespread and is detected in almost half of the population of the Chuvash Republic. The thyroid gland plays an important role in the functioning of many organs and systems in the human body. Thyroid hormones are vital for humans; they regulate water-electrolyte, protein, fat, carbohydrate and energy metabolism, normal functioning of organs and systems, including the central nervous system. One of thyroid gland pathologies associated with a deficiency of its hormones is hypothyroidism. Primary, secondary and tertiary hypothyroidisms are distinguished. Clinical manifestations of hypothyroidism are nonspecific, mostly they depend on the patient's age, duration and severity of hormone deficiency. Hypothyroidism is suspected if patients have the following symptoms: hypothermia, myxedemas due to accumulation of hyaluronic acid and mucin in the tissues, bradyphrenia, myopathy, anemia. Determining the level of TSH and free T4 in the serum helps to confirm it, and a thyrotrophin-releasing hormone test is used to diagnose secondary and tertiary hypothyroidism. The present article discusses a clinical case of hypothyroidism onset and the difficulties in diagnosing this pathology.
- Madyanov I.V. Rasprostranennost’ osnovnykh endokrinnykh zabolevanii u vzroslogo naseleniya Chuvashii, ikh svyaz’ s otdel’nymi determinantami po rezul’tatam epidemiologicheskikh issledovanii [Prevalence of major endocrine diseases in the adult population of Chuvashia and their association with individual determinants according to epidemiological studies]. Zdravookhranenie Chuvashii, 2019, no. 3, pp. 29–36.
- Tretyak S.I., Khryshchanovich V.Ya. Sovremennye metody lecheniya gipotireoza [Modern methods of treatment for hypothyroidism]. Minsk, 2011, 150 p.
- Ushakov A.V. Ul’trazvukovaya diagnostika raka shchitovidnoi zhelezy po ACR TI-RADS. [Ultrasound diagnosis of thyroid cancer according to ACR TI-RADS]. Moscow, 2020, 216 p.
- Khamnueva L.Yu., Andreeva L.S., Khantakova E.A. Ioddefitsitnye zabolevaniya i sindrom gipotireoza: etiologiya, patogenez, diagnostika, lechenie [Iodine deficiency diseases and hypothyroidism syndrome: etiology, pathogenesis, diagnosis, treatment]. Irkutsk, 2018, 59 p.
- Kharnas S.S., Ippolitov L.I., Vasilyev I.A.et al. Ehndokrinnaya khirurgiya [Endocrine surgery]. Moscow, GEOTAR-Media Publ., 2010, 496 p.
- Yakubovskii S. V. Zabolevaniya shchitovidnoi zhelezy [Thyroid diseases]. Minsk, 2011, 31 p.
- Timofeeva Natalya Yu.
- Senior Lecturer, Department of Instrumental Diagnostics Department with a Course of Phthisiology, Chuvash State University, Russia, Cheboksary (email@example.com; ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-7596-0132)
- Stomenskaya Irina S.
- Candidate of Medical Sciences, Assistant Professor, Department of the Instrumental Diagnostics with a Course of Phthisiology, Chuvash State University, Russia, Cheboksary (firstname.lastname@example.org; ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-7332-4477)
- Kostrova Olga Yu.
- Candidate of Medical Sciences, Assistant Professor, Head of Department of the Instrumental Diagnostics with a Course of Phthisiology, Chuvash State University, Russia, Cheboksary (email@example.com; ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-7057-9834)
Timofeeva N.Yu., Stomenskaya I.S., Kostrova O.Yu. Hypothyroidism in the Practice of a General Practitioner [Electronic resource] // Acta medica Eurasica. – 2022. – №1. P. 39-43. – URL: https://acta-medica-eurasica.ru/en/single/2022/1/6/. DOI: 10.47026/2413-4864-2022-1-39-43.