Khudyakov A.V., Morozova A.S., Balycheva D.A., Shunenkov D.A., Vernidub I.E., Borzov A.E.
Self-Assessment of Professional Activity and Emotional Burnout Among Psychiatrists and Narcologists
The present article deals with an actual problem of medicine – emotional burnout among the staff. Among all professions, it is medical workers that are the most exposed to the development of this phenomenon. The authors analyzed the level of satisfaction with the chosen specialty among psychiatrists and narcologists of Ivanovo and Yaroslavl regions, assessed their working conditions, peculiarities of interaction with related specialists, the motives for multiple jobholding as well as correlation of these parameters with emotional exhaustion, depersonalization and reduction of professional achievements. The results of the study find a significant connection between negative perception of working conditions and individual prospects in the profession with the phenomenon of emotional burnout. Multiple jobholding is typical more for psychiatrists than for narcologists, more often the reasons for multiple jobholding are financial dissatisfaction, less often – desire for novelty. All doctors are interested in referring the patient to additional consultations with related specialists, especially psychotherapists and psychologists. Significant differences in subjective assessing the working conditions between regions are revealed, Yaroslavl region is positively leading. Regret about choosing a specialty is connected with all parameters of emotional exhaustion and is more often observed in psychiatrists of Ivanovo region.
- Vodop’yanova N.E., Starchenkova E.S., Nasledov A.D. Standartizirovannyi oprosnik «Professional’noe vygoranie» dlya spetsialistov sotsionomicheskikh professii [Standardized questionnaire “Professional burnout” for specialists of socionomical professions]. Vestnik Sankt-Peterburgskogo universiteta. Sotsiologiya, 2013, no. 4, pp. 17–27.
- Khudyakov A.V., Smirnova O.Yu. Razmyshleniya o podgotovke psikhiatrov-narkologov [Reflections on the training of narcologists]. In: XV s”ezd psikhiatrov Rossii (Materialy s”ezda) [XV Congress of psychiatrists of Russia (Proceedings of the Congress)]. Mosсow, Medpraktika-M Publ., 2010, 406 p.
- Khudyakov A.V., Ursu A.V., Shunenkov D.A Novye i starye problemy poslediplomnogo obucheniya po psikhiatrii i smezhnym spetsial’nostyam [New and old problems of postgraduate education in psychiatry and allied trades]. In: Materialyly mezhdunarodnoi nauchno-prakticheskoi konferentsii i pyatogo nauchnogo rossiisko-khorvatskogo psikhiatricheskogo simpoziuma [Proc. of the Int. Sci. and Pract. Conf. and the fifth scientific Russian-Croatian psychiatric symposium]. Mosсow, 2019, pp. 334–336.
- Clough B.A., Hill M., Delaney M., Casey L.M. Development of a measure of stigma towards occupational stress for mental health professionals. Psychiatry Psychiatr. Epidemiol., 2020, Jan. 2, pp.1-11. DOI: 10.1007/s00127-019-01820-9.
- Elbarazi I., Loney T., Yousef S., Elias A. Prevalence of and factors associated with burnout among health care professionals in Arab countries: a systematic review. BMC Health Serv. Res., 2017, Jul. 17, vol. 17, no. 1. p. 491. DOI: 10.1186/s12913-017-2319-8.
- McFarland D.C., Hlubocky F., Riba M. Update on Addressing Mental Health and Burnout in Physicians: What Is the Role for Psychiatry? Psychiatry Rep., 2019, Oct. 15, vol 21, no. 11, p. 108. DOI: 10.1007/s11920-019-1100-6.
- O’Connor K., Muller Neff D., Pitman S. Burnout in mental health professionals: A systematic review and meta-analysis of prevalence and determinants. Psychiatry., 2018, Sep., vol. 53, pp. 74–99. DOI: 10.1016/j.eurpsy.2018.06.003.
- Nimmawitt N., Wannarit K., Pariwatcharakul P. Thai psychiatrists and burnout: A national survey. PLoS One., 2020, apr. 21, vol. 15, no. 4, e0230204. DOI: 10.1371/journal.pone.0230204. eCollection 2020.
- Parola V., Coelho A., Cardoso D., Sandgren A., Apóstolo J. Prevalence of burnout in health professionals working in palliative care: a systematic review. Database System Rev. Implement. Rep., 2017, Jul., vol. 15, no. 7, pp. 1905–1933. DOI: 10.11124/JBISRIR-2016-003309.
- Rotstein S., Hudaib A.R., Facey A., Kulkarni Psychiatrist burnout: a meta-analysis of Maslach Burnout Inventory means. J. Australas Psychiatry, 2019, Jun., vol. 27(3), pp. 249–254. DOI: 10.1177/1039856219833800.
- Khudyakov Alexey V.
- Doctor of Medical Sciences, Professor, Head of the Department of Psychiatry, Narcology, Psychotherapy, Ivanovo State Medical Academy, Russia, Ivanovo (firstname.lastname@example.org; )
- Morozova Anna S.
- Medical Practitioner, Intern at the Specialty «Psychiatry», Department of Psychiatry, Narcology, Psychotherapy, Ivanovo State Medical Academy, Russia, Ivanovo (email@example.com; )
- Balycheva Daria A.
- Medical Practitioner, Intern at the Specialty «Psychiatry», Department of Psychiatry, Narcology, Psychotherapy, Ivanovo State Medical Academy, Russia, Ivanovo (firstname.lastname@example.org; )
- Shunenkov Denis A.
- Post-Graduate Student, Assistant of the Department of Psychiatry, Narcology, Psychotherapy, Ivanovo State Medical Academy, Russia, Ivanovo (email@example.com; )
- Vernidub Ilya E.
- Chief, Regional Clinical Psychiatric Hospital «Bogorodskoye», Russia, Ivanovo (firstname.lastname@example.org; )
- Borzov Alexey E.
- Deputy Chief for Expert Work, Ivanovo Regional Narcological Dispensary, Russia, Ivanovo (email@example.com; )
Khudyakov A.V., Morozova A.S., Balycheva D.A., Shunenkov D.A., Vernidub I.E., Borzov A.E. Self-Assessment of Professional Activity and Emotional Burnout Among Psychiatrists and Narcologists [Electronic resource] // Acta medica Eurasica. – 2020. – №3. P. 20-29. – URL: https://acta-medica-eurasica.ru/en/single/2020/3/3/. DOI: 10.47026/2413-4864-2020-3-20-29.