Shumilova N.A., Pavlova S.I.
Antagonists of neurokinin receptors: their use in clinical practice and new perspectives
Vomiting and nausea can develop when various factors affect the human body. Taking certain xenobiotics, including medications such as antitumor chemotherapeutic agents and anaesthetic agents, causes nausea and vomiting. In addition, these symptoms may develop in kinetoses (motion sickness). But if nausea and vomiting in kinetoses are often successfully stopped by antihistamines, then the symptoms and signs induced by chemotherapy are controlled worse. To prevent nausea and vomiting induced by chemotherapy, 5HT3 serotonin receptor antagonists and glucocorticoids are used. As practice shows, these drugs are good at controlling acute nausea and vomiting, but they do not successfully control delayed nausea and vomiting, which develops on the 2-3 day after chemotherapy. A new class of antiemetic drugs – antagonists of NK1 receptors – more effectively controls delayed nausea and vomiting caused by chemotherapy. The article describes the role of neurokinin receptors and their antagonists in the development of emetogenic effects, provides additional pharmacological effects of this group of drugs, discusses their effectiveness and safety.
- Vladimirova L.U., Gladkov O.A., Kogonij L.M., Koroleva I.A., Semiglazova T.U. Prakticheskie rekomendacii po profilaktike v lecheniu toshnoty I rvoty u onnkologicheskikh bolnykh [Practicfl recommendations for the prevention and treatment of nausea and vomiting in cancer patients] Zlokachestvennie opuholi: Prakticheskie rekomendacii RUSSCO, 2019, vol. 9, no. 3s2, pp. 566–575.
- Koroleva I.A., Kopp M.V., Koroleva A.M. Otsenka effektivnosti aprepitanta dlya profilaktiki toshnoty i rvoty [Evaluation of the effectiveness of aprepitant for prevention of nausea and vomiting in patients with breast cancer]. Medicinskiy sovet, 2018, no. 19, pp. 116–121.
- Rumyancev A.A., Glazkova E.V., Nasyrova R.U. et al. Olanzapin I aprepitant v profilaktike toshnoty i rvoty: pervye rezultaty randomizirovannogo issledovaniay II fazy [Olanzapine versus aprepitant in patients receiving high-emetogenic chemotherapy: interim analysis of randomized phase II trial]. Praktichskaya onkologiya, 2018, vol. 19, no. 4, pp. 419–427.
- Snegovoi A.V., Larionova I.B., Kononenco I.B. et al. Profilaktika toshnoty I rvoty v onkologii [Prevention of nausea and vomiting in oncology]. Klinicheskaya onkogematologiya, 2016, vol. 9, no. 1, pp. 75–83.
- Aziz F. Neurokinin-1 receptor antagonists for chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting. Ann Palliat Med, 2012, no. 1, pp. 130–136.
- Bosnjak S.M., Gralla R.J., Schwatzberg L. Prevention of chemotherapy-induced nausea: the role of neurokinin-1 (NK1) receptor antagonists. Support Care Cancer, 2017, vol. 25, pp. 1661–1671.
- Garcia-Recio S., Gascon P. Biological and Fharmacological aspects of NK1-receptor. BioMed Research International, 2015, Article ID 495704, 14 pp. DOI: http://dx.doi.org/10.1155/2015/495704.
- Goldberg T., Cardinale S. Rolapitant (Varubi). A Substance P/Neurokinin-1 receptor antagonist for the prevention of chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting. Pharmacy and Therapeutics, 2017, vol. 42, no. 3, pp. 168–172.
- He A., Alhariri J.M., Sweren R.J. et al. Aprepitant for the treatment of chronic refractory pruritus. BioMed Research International,2017, Article ID 4790810, 6 p. DOI: https//doi.org/10.1155/2017/ 4790810.
- Liu X., Zhu Y., Zheng W., Qian T. et al. Antagonism of NK-1R using aprepitaant suppresses inflammatory response in rheumatoid arthritis fibroblast-like synoviocytes. Artificial cells, nanomedicine, and biotechnology, 2019, vol. 47, no. 1, pp. 1628–1634.
- Murakami C., Kakuta N., Kume K., Sakai Y., Kasai A. et al. A Comparison of Fosaprepitant and Ondansetron for preventing postoperative nausea and vomiting in moderate to high risk patients: a retrospective database analysis. BioMed Research International, 2017, article ID 5703528, 5 p.
- Navari R. M. Aprepitant: a neurokinin-1 receptor antagonist for the treatment of chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting. Expert Rev Anticancer Ther., 2004, vol. 4, no. 5, pp. 715-724.
- Patel P., Leeder J.S., Piquette-Miller M., Lee L. Aprepitant and fosaprepitant drug interactions: a systematic review. British journal of Clinical Pharmacology, 2016, vol. 83, pp. 2148–2162.
- Pojawa-Golab M., Jaworecka K., Reich A. NK-1 receptor antagonists and Pruritus: review of current literature. Ther (Heidelb), 2019, vol. 9, pp. 391–405.
- Rojas C., Slusher B.S. Mechanisms and latest clinical studies of new NK1 receptor antagonists for chemotherapy-induced nausea and vomiting: Rolapitant and NEPA (netupitant/palonosetron). Cancer Treatment Reviews, 2015, vol. 41, pp. 904–913.
- Ruhlmann C.H., Christensen T.B., Dohn L.H., Paludan M. Efficacy and safety of fosaprepitant for the prevention of nausea and emesis during 5 weeks of chemoradiotherapy for cervical cancer (the GAND-emesis study): a multinational, randomized, placebo-controlled, double, phase 3 trial. Lancet Oncol., 2016, vol. 17, pp. 509–518.
- Sandweiss A.J., Vanderah T.W. The pharmacology of neurokinin receptors in addiction: prospects for therapy. Substance Abuse and Rehabilitation, 2015, no. 6, pp. 93–102.
- Saito R., Takano Y., Kamiya H. Roles of substance P and NK1 receptor in brainstem in the development of emesis. Journal of Pharmacological Sciences, 2003, vol. 91, pp. 87–94.
- Schoffelen R., Lankheet A.G., van Herpen C.M.L. et al. Drug-drug interactions with aprepitant in antiemetic prophylaxis for chemotherapy. The Netherlands Journal of Medicine, 2018, vol. 76, no. 3, pp. 109–114.
- Shumilova Nadezhda A.
- Senior Lecturer, Pharmacology, Clinical Pharmacology and Biochemistry Department, Chuvash State University, Russia, Cheboksary (email@example.com; )
- Pavlova Svetlana I.
- Doctor of Medical Sciences, Head of the Department of Pharmacology, Clinical Pharmacology and Biochemistry, Chuvash State University, Russia, Cheboksary (firstname.lastname@example.org; ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0001-9976-7866)
Shumilova N.A., Pavlova S.I. Antagonists of neurokinin receptors: their use in clinical practice and new perspectives [Electronic resource] // Acta medica Eurasica. – 2020. – №2. P. 91-99. – URL: https://acta-medica-eurasica.ru/en/single/2020/2/9/.