UDC: [616.89-008.441.13-036.22]:351.761.1 (470+571)
Razvodovsky Yury E., Golenkov Andrei V.
Influence of the Increase in the Price for Vodka on the Level of Alcohol-Attributed Mortality in Russia
The purpose of this study was to examine the impact of increase in prices for vodka on the dynamics of alcohol-attributed mortality in Russia. The authors carried out a comparative analysis of the dynamics of prices for vodka and gender coefficients of alcohol-attributed mortality (alcohol poisoning, liver cirrhosis, cardiomyopathy, pancreatitis, alcoholic psychosis) in 2008-2015. The analysis of paired correlations by Spearman revealed an inverse relationship between the price for vodka and mortality from alcohol poisoning, liver cirrhosis and cardiomyopathy among both men and women. The association between the price for vodka and mortality from alcohol psychosis/pancreatitis among men and women is also negative, although it is statistically insignificant. The results of this study indicate that the decrease in alcohol-attributed mortality in the period under review was due to an increase in alcohol prices. The data presented are consistent with international experience in the field of anti-alcohol policy, which indicates that reducing the economic availability of alcohol by increasing its price is an effective way to reduce the level of alcohol-related problems.
- Ivanova А.Ye., Semenova V.G., Gavrilova N.S., Evdokushkina G.P., Gavrilov L.А. Rossiyskaya smertnost v 1965-2002 гг.: osnovnye problemy I reservy snizeniya [Russian mortality in 1965–2002: the main problems and reserves for the decrease]. Obshtshestvennoe zdorovie i prophylactica zabolevaniy, 2004, no. 1, pp. 20–30.
- Kolosnitsyna М., Chorkina N., Dgorgiev H. Vliyaniyr cenovych mer gosudarstwennoy antialcoholnoy politiki na potrebleniye spirtnych napitkov v Rossyy [The effect of price measures of antialcohol policy on the consumption of alcoholic beverages in Russia]. Economic policy, 2015, vol. 10, no. 5. pp. 171–190.
- Nemtsov A.V., Razvodovsky Y.E. Alcoholnaya situatsyya v Rossii i yeye otraszenie v krivom zercale [Alcohol-related situation in the false mirror]. Sobriologia, 2015, no. 3, pp. 70–73.
- Nemtsov A.V., Razvodovsky Y.E. Alcoholnaya situatsyya v Rossii, 1980–2005 [Alcohol-related situation in Russia, 1980–2005]. Sotsyalnaya i clinitsheskaya psychiatriya, 2008, no. 2, pp. 52–60.
- Nemtsov A.V., Shelygin K.V. Antialcoholnye zakony 2005 i snizshenie potreblenia alcoholya v Rossii [Antialcohol lows of 2005 and decrease in alcohol consumption in Russia]. Voprosy narcologii, 2015, no. 1, pp. 83–92.
- Razvodovsky Y.E. Effectivnye strategii alcoholnoy politiki [Effective strategy of alcohol policy] Voprosy organizatsyi i informatizacii zdravoochtaneniya, 2013, no. 3, pp. 37–42.
- Razvodovsky Y.E., Nemtsov А.V. Alcoholnaya sostavlyayustshaya snizshenia smertnosti v Rossii after 2003 [Alcohol-related component of mortality decrease in Russia]. Voprosy Narcologii, 2016, no. 3, pp. 63–70.
- Gil A., Khaltourina D., Korotaev A. Alcohol consumption in Russia: affordability of alcohol, changes and effects of alcohol control policy and future prospects. In: Moskalewicz J., Osterberg E., eds. Changes in alcohol affordability and availability. Twenty years of transition in Eastern Europe. Juvenes Print, 2016, pp. 18–50.
- Khalturina D., Korotaev A. Effects of specific alcohol control policy measures on alcohol-related mortality in Russia from 1998 to 2013. Alcohol and Alcoholism, 2015, no. 45, pp. 1–14.
- Moskalewicz J., Osterberrg E., Razvodovsky Y.E. Summary. In: Moskalewicz J., Osterberg E., eds. Changes in alcohol affordability and availability. Twenty years of transition in Eastern Europe. Juvenes Print, 2016, pp. 157–168.
- Nemtsov A.V., Neufeld M., Rehm J. Are trends in alcohol consumption and cause-specific mortality in Russia between 1990 and 2017 the result of alcohol control measures? Studies of Alcohol and Drugs, 2019, vol. 80, no. 5, pp. 489–498.
- Nemtsov A.V., Razvodovsky Y.E. Russian alcohol policy in false mirror. Alcohol & Alcoholism, 2016, no. 4, p. 21.
- Radaev V. Impact of a new alcohol policy on homemade alcohol consumption and sales in Russia. Alcoholol and Alcoholism, 2015, no. 50, pp. 365–372.
- Razvodovsky Y.E. Noncommercial alcohol in central and eastern Europe, ICAP Review 3. In: International Center for Alcohol Policies, ed. Noncommercial alcohol in three regions. Washington, DC: ICAP, 2008, pp. 17–23.
- Razvodovsky YE. Affordability of alcohol and alcohol-related mortality in Belarus. Adicciones, 2013, vol. 25, no. 2, pp. 156–162.
- Zaridze D., Maximovitch D., Lazarev A. et al. Alcohol poisoning is a main determinant of recent mortality trends in Russia: evidence from a detailed analysis of mortality statistics and autopsies. International J. Epidemiology, 2008, no. 38, pp. 143–153.
- Razvodovsky Yury E.
- Head of the Department of Problems of Metabolism Regulation, Institute of Biochemistry of the National Academy of Sciences Republic of Belarus, Belarus, Grodno (email@example.com; )
- Golenkov Andrey V.
- Doctor of Medical Sciences, Professor, Head of the Department of Psychiatry, Medical Psychology and Neurology, Chuvash State University, Russia, Cheboksary (firstname.lastname@example.org; ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-3799-0736)
Razvodovsky Yury E., Golenkov Andrei V. Influence of the Increase in the Price for Vodka on the Level of Alcohol-Attributed Mortality in Russia [Electronic resource] // Acta medica Eurasica. – 2020. – №1. P. . – URL: http://acta-medica-eurasica.ru/en/single/2020/1/2/.