Efimova O., Safonova M.
Epidemiology of ovarian cancer in early stages
Genital female neoplasms are in the top in morbidity patterns for all types of cancer in the female population. Ovarian cancer holds a leading position in the structure of female cancer incidence and mortality from malignant neoplasms. The problem of detecting ovarian cancer in early stages is relevant and holds a specific place. The purpose and objectives of the article are to determine the incidence of ovarian cancer in early stages, to define prevalence of histological types of ovarian cancer among the early stages, the time interval between the onset of symptoms and seeking medical help. Examination data of 289 patients aged 23 to 93 with ovarian cancer revealed in the period from 2015 to 2017 were analyzed. Among instrumental data, the methods of ultrasound, magnetic resonance imaging, computed tomography were used. Early stages of ovarian cancer were found in 37,5% of examined women, late stages – 62,5%. Ovarian cancer is more often seen in the age group of 51-60 years old women. Epithelial type of ovarian cancer was found in 78,7% of cases, stromal cell-derived type – in 13%, germ cell type – in 5,6%, clear cell cancer – in 2,8%, mixed type – in 0,9%. The most frequent complaints in ovarian cancer in early stages were aching pain in the lower abdomen – 65% and abdominal distention – 14%. 13% of patients had no complaints. The time from the onset of complaints to visiting the doctor more often took from 6 months to 2 years. The patients were subjected to diagnostic radiology: ultrasonography in 100% cases, magnetic resonance imaging – in 43,5% of cases, computer tomography – in 10% of cases. Most cases of ovarian cancer are represented by advanced stages. Early detection of ovarian cancer is low. In reproductive age, early forms of ovarian cancer are observed more often. The most common histological type of ovarian cancer in the early stages is epithelial one. Ovarian cancer has no pathognomonic symptoms, it develops latently, asymptomatically, or with obscure abdominal pains, which complicates its diagnosis and causes late presentation for consulting a doctor. Diagnostic radiology methods are necessary for making the diagnosis. Magnetic resonance imaging is the most informative diagnostic method for ovarian cancer, especially in the early stages.
- Demidchik Yu.E., Shloma E.N., Shelkovich S.E. Fridman M.V., Papok V.E. Vyzhivaemost’ bol’nykh rakom yaichnikov [Survival rates in patients with ovarian cancer]. Onkologicheskii zhurnal, 2018, vol. 3, no. 1(9), pp. 13–19.
- Diomidova V.N., Efimova O.A. Sovremennye tekhnologii luchevoi diagnostiki v opredelenii metastaticheskogo porazheniya tazovykh limfouzlov [Modern radiodiagnostics technology of metastasizes in pelvic lymph nodes]. Meditsinskaya vizualizatsiya, 2017, vol. 21, no. 6, pp. 100–108.
- Efimova O.A. Kompleksnaya luchevaya diagnostika opukholevykh obrazovanii yaichnikov na dooperatsionnom etape [Сomplex radiodiagnosis of ovarian tumors]. Povolzhskii onkologicheskii vestnik, 2017, no. 3(30), pp. 61–64.
- Zhordania K.I., Khokhlova S.V. Rannii rak yaichnikov: nash vzglyad na problemu [Early ovarian cancer: our view of the problem]. Opukholi zhenskoi reproduktivnoi sistemy, 2011, no. 3, pp. 56–64.
- Kaprin A.D., Starinskii V.V., Petrova G.V., eds. Zlokachestvennye novoobrazovaniya v Rossii v 2015 godu (zabolevaemost’ i smertnost’) [Malignancies in Russia in 2015 (morbidity and mortality)]. Moscow, 2017, 250 p.
- Kaprin A.D., Starinskii V.V., Petrova G.V., eds. Zlokachestvennye novoobrazovaniya v Rossii v 2016 godu (zabolevaemost’ i smertnost’) [Malignancies in Russia in 2016 (morbidity and mortality)]. Moscow, 2018, 250 p.
- Kaprin A.D., Starinskii V.V., Petrova G.V., eds. Zlokachestvennye novoobrazovaniya v Rossii v 2017 godu (zabolevaemost’ i smertnost’) [Malignancies in Russia in 2017 (morbidity and mortality)]. Moscow, 2018, 250 p.
- Marchenko N.V, Trofimenko I.A. Sravnitel’nyi analiz dannykh MRT i tipa gistologicheskoi differentsirovki zlokachestvennykh epitelial’nykh opukholei yaichnikov [Comparative analysis of magnetic resonance imaging and histological differentiation of malignant epithelial ovarian tumors], Kremlevskaya meditsina. Klinicheskii vestnik, 2009, no. 3, pp. 68–70.
- Mel’ko A.I. Epidemiologicheskie i kliniko-morfologicheskie osobennosti zlokachestvennykh opukholei yaichnikov [Epidemiological and clinical morphological features of malignant ovarian tumors], Zhurnal akusherstva i zhenskikh boleznei, 2006, vol. 4, no. 2, pp. 68–69.
- Ozhiganova I.N. Morfologiya raka yaichnikov v klassifikatsii VOZ 2013 goda [The morphology of ovarian cancer in the WHO 2013 classification]. Prakticheskaya onkologiya, 2014, vol. 15, no. 4, pp. 143–152.
- Safonova M.A., Diomidova V.N., Zakharova O.V., Ionov A.M., Siordiya A.A. Pervichno-mnozhestvennye zlokachestvennye novoobrazovaniya zhenskikh polovykh organov. Istoriya voprosa, epidemiologiya, terminologiya i klassifikatsiya [Primary multiple malignant neoplasms of the female genital organs. Background, epidemiology, terminology and classification]. Voprosy ginekologii, akusherstva i perinatologii, 2017, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 59–64.
- Safonova M.A., Diomidova V.N., Zakharova O.V., Ionov A.M., Siordiya A.A. Porazhenie zhenskikh reproduktivnykh organov v strukture pervichno-mnozhestvennykh zlokachestvennykh novoobrazovanii [The defeat of the female reproductive organs in the structure of primary multiple malignant neoplasms]. Voprosy ginekologii, akusherstva i perinatologii, 2016, vol. 15, no. 3, pp. 48–53.
- Safonova M.A., Zakharova O.V., Ionov A.M., Efimova O.A. Chastota porazheniya zhenskikh reproduktivnykh organov pri polineoplaziyakh [The frequency of lesions of the female reproductive organs in polyneoplasias]. Acta Medica Eurasica, 2018, no. 2, pp. 35–41.
- Solopova A.G., Bitsadze V.O., Solopova A.E., Makatsariya A.D., Rozanov I.A. Rak yaichnika: sovremennye podkhody k klassifikatsii, diagnostike, stadirovaniyu i differentsial’noi taktike vedeniya bol’nykh [Ovarian cancer: modern approaches to the classification, diagnosis, staging and differential management of patients]. Zhurnal akusherstva i zhenskikh boleznei, 2017, vol. 16, no. 2, pp. 55–66.
- Kaprin A.D., Starinskii V.V., Petrova G.V., eds. Sostoyanie onkologicheskoi pomoshchi naseleniyu Rossii v 2017 godu [The state of oncological assistance to the population of Russia in 2017]. Moscow, 2018, 236 p.
- Barber H.R., Sommers S.C., Synder R., Kwon T.H. Histologic and nuclear grading and stromal reactions as indices for prognosis in ovarian cancer. American Journal of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 1975, vol. 121(6), pp. 795–807.
- Brand A.H., DiSilvestro P.A., Sehouli J., Berek J.S. Cytoreductive surgery for ovarian cancer: quality assessment. Annals of Oncology, 2017, vol. 28(8), pp. 825–829. DOI: doi.org/10.1093/ annonc/mdx448.
- Bray F., Ferlay J., Soerjomataram I., Siegel R.L., Torre L.A., Jemal A. Global cancer statistics 2018: GLOBOCAN estimates of incidence and mortality worldwide for 36 cancers in 185 countries. CA Cancer J Clin., 2018, vol. 0, pp. 1–31. DOI: 10.3322/caac.21492.
- Diomidova V.N., Zakharova O.V., Siordiya A.A., Chameeva T.V., Vinogradova V.S. Ultra-sonic elastography of shear wave with elastometry in defining normative values of young”s modulus of elasticity of the ovaries in women of reproductive ageю. Voprosy ginekologii, akusherstva I perinatologii, 2018, vol. 17, no. 2, pp. 32–35.
- Doubeni Ch.A., Doubeni A.R.B., Myers A.E. Diagnosis and Management of Ovarian Cancer. American Family Physician, 2016, vol. 93(11), pp. 937–944.
- Fitzmaurice C., Allen C., Barber R.M., Barregard L., Bhutta Z.A., Brenner H. et al. Global burden of disease cancer collaboration. Global, regional, and national cancer incidence, mortality, years of life lost, years lived with disability, and disability-adjusted life-years for 32 cancer groups, 1990 to 2015: a systematic analysis for the global burden of disease study. JAMA oncology, 2017, vol. 3(4), pp. 524–548. DOI:10.1001/jamaoncol.2016.5688.
- Jin Y., Yang X., Li Q., Yan Z., Yang H., Liao C. CT of ovarian cancer: 3D cinematic rendering for preoperative evaluation. Journal of Ovarian Research, 2018, vol. 11, p. 86. DOI: 10.1186/s13048-018-0461-5.
- Kim M., Kim Y.H., Kim Y.B., Kim J., Kim J.W., Park M.H. et al. Bilateral salpingectomy to reduce the risk of ovarian/fallopian/peritoneal cancer in women at average risk: a position statement of the Korean Society of Obstetrics and Gynecology (KSOG). Obstetrics and gynecology science, 2018, vol. 61(5), pp. 542–552. DOI: doi.org/10.5468/ogs.2018.61.5.542.
- Kurman R.J., Shih I. The origin and pathogenesis of epithelial ovarian cancer: a proposed unifying theory. The American journal of surgical pathology, 2010, vol. 34, no. 3, pp. 433–443. DOI: 10.1097/PAS.0b013e3181cf3d79.
- Population fact sheets. WHO newsletter. Available at: http://gco.iarc.fr/today/fact-sheets-populations (Accessed 20 Sept. 2018).
- Roett M.A., Evans Р. Ovarian cancer: an overview. American Family Physician, 2009, vol. 80(6), pp. 609–616.
- Siegel R.L., Miller K.D., Jemal A. Cancer statistics. 2018. CA: Cancer Journal for Clinicians, 2018, vol. 68(1), pp. 7–30. DOI: doi.org/10.3322/caac.21442.
- Toporcov T.N., Filho V.W. Epidemiological science and cancer control. Clinics., 2018, vol. 73(Suppl1), p. e627s. DOI: 10.6061/clinics/2018/e627s.
- Wu G.-J. METCAM/MUC18 Decreases the Malignant Propensity of Human Ovarian Carcinoma Cells. International Journal of Molecular Sciences, 2018, vol. 19(10), p. 2976. DOI: 10.3390/ijms19102976.
- Zheng G., Yu H., Kanerva A., Försti A., Sundquist K., Hemminki K. Familial risks of ovarian cancer by age at diagnosis, proband type and histology. PLOS ONE, 2018, vol. 13(10). DOI: https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0206721.
- Safonova Marina Anatolievna
- Republican Clinical Oncology Dispensary radiology unit head; obstetrics and gynecology department graduate student, Chuvash State University, Russia, Cheboksary (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Efimova Oksana Alekseevna
- Republican Clinical Oncology Center radiologist; obstetrics and gynecology department graduate student, internal diseases propaedeutics with a course of radiation diagnosis department assistant, Chuvash State University, Russia, Cheboksary (email@example.com)
Efimova O., Safonova M. Epidemiology of ovarian cancer in early stages [Electronic resource] // Acta medica Eurasica. – 2018. – №4. P. 9-18. – URL: http://acta-medica-eurasica.ru/en/single/2018/4/2/