Orlov F., Golenkov A., Chernyshov V.
Headache in students: prevalence, structure, provocative factors
The aim of the research is to study the prevalence and structure of headache (HA) in medical students and identify its provoking factors. A total of 420 medical students of the II – V years of study (316 girls and 104 young males) of the Chuvash State University were interviewed. A questionnaire was used to study HA, which took into account the characteristics of HA and its provoking factors. Mathematical-statistical processing was carried out using descriptive statistics and 2-test. HA was detected in 88,1% of students, in girls it was revealed significantly more often than in young men; with a frequency of less than once a month (46,4%), of a pressing nature (36,5%), of moderate intensity (61,1%), up to 12 hours of duration (91,1%), localized in the temporal region of the head (45,4%). The frequency of HA was associated with a past history of a mild degree brain concussion. HA interfered with healthy sleep in students, shortening it and causing them to wake up. They had a pronounced HA of pressing character with dizziness, nausea, palpitations and head noises. A high HA prevalence among students is revealed. HA is associated with psychoemotional and gender factors as well as with sleep disorders and past craniocerebral injury.
- Golenkov A.V., Ivanova I.L., Kuklina K.V., Petunova E.A. Epidemiologiya rasstroystv sna u studentov-medikov [Epidemiology of sleep disorders in medical students]. Vestnik Chuvashskogo universiteta, 2010, no. 3, pp. 98–102.
- Golenkov A.V., Orlov F.V., Sapozhnikov S.P., Kozlov V.A. Svyaz’ rasstroystv sna s golovnoy bol’yu [Relationship between sleep disorders and headache]. Zhurnal nevrologii i psikhiatrii [Journal of Neurology and Psychiatry], 2018, no. 1, pp. 71–74.
- Steiner T.J., Paemeleire K., Jensen R. et al. European principles of management of common headache disorders in primary care. Headache Pain., 2007, vol. 8(1), pp. S3–47. DOI: 10.1007/s10194-007-0366-y.
- Orlov F.V., Golenkov A.V. Epidemiologiya golovnoy boli [Epidemiology of headache]. Vestnik Chuvashskogo universiteta, 2005, no. 2, pp. 99–105.
- Orlov F.V., Golenkov A.V., Ivanichev G.A. Golovnaya bol’ v klinike psikhicheskikh narusheniy [Headache in the clinic of mental disorders]. Cheboksary, Chuvash State Univesity Publ., 2005. 132 p.
- Basdav J., Haffejee F., Puckree T. Impact of headaches on university students in Durban, South Africa. Springerplus, 2016, vol. 5, no. 1, Sep. 29, p. 1679.
- Bhat N., Jain S., Singh A., Wadhwani A., Mansuri R., Bhat S., Kaur H., Gandhi N. Prevalence and Characteristic of Headache in Dental Professionals: A Questionnaire Based Survey. Clin. Diagn. Res., 2016, vol. 10, no. 4, Apr., pp. 107–110. doi: 10.7860/JCDR/2016/17645.7699.
- Deleu D., Khan M.A., Humaidan H., Al Mantheri Z., Al Hashami S. Prevalence and clinical characteristics of headache in medical students in Oman. Headache, 2001, vol. 41, no. 8, Sep., pp. 798-804.
- Ferri-de-Barros J.E., Alencar M.J., Berchielli L.F., Castelhano Junior L.C. Headache among medical and psychology students. Neuropsiquiatr., 2011, vol. 69, no. 3, Jun., pp. 502–508.
- Ghorbani A., Abtahi S.M., Fereidan-Esfahani M., Abtahi S.H., Shemshaki H., Akbari M., Mehrabi-Koushki A. Prevalence and clinical characteristics of headache among medical students, Isfahan, Iran. Res. Med. Sci., 2013, vol. 18 (suppl 1), Mar., pp. 24–27.
- Lebedeva E.R., Kobzeva N.R., Gilev D.V., Olesen J. Factors Associated with Primary Headache According to Diagnosis, Sex, and Social Group. Headache, 2016, vol. 56, no. 2, Feb., pp. 341–356. doi: 10.1111/head.12757.
- Lebedeva E.R., Kobzeva N.R., Gilev D.V., Kislyak N.V., Olesen J. Psychosocial factors associated with migraine and tension-type headache in medical students. , 2017, vol. 37, no. 13, Nov., pp. 1264–1271. doi: 10.1177/0333102416678389.
- Mitsikostas D.D., Gatzonis S., Thomas A., Kalfakis N., IIias A., Papageoergiou C. An epidemiological study of headaches among medical students in Athens. , 1996, vol. 36, no. 9, Oct., pp. 561–564.
- Ojini F.I., Okubadejo N.U., Danesi M.A. Prevalence and clinical characteristics of headache in medical students of the University of Lagos, Nigeria. Cephalalgia, 2009, vol. 29, no. 4, Apr., pp. 472–477. doi: 10.1111/j.1468-2982.2008.01766.x.
- Rains J.C., Poceta J.S. Sleep-related headaches. Neurol Clin., 2012, vol. 30, no. 4, pp. 1285-1298. org/10.1016/j.ncl.2012.08.014.
- Uhlig B.L., Engstrøm M., Ødegård S.S., Hagen K.K., Sand T. Headache and insomnia in population-based epidemiological studies. Cephalalgia, 2014, vol. 34, no. 10, pp. 745–751. org/10.1177/ 0333102414540058.
- Zierz A.M., Mehl T., Kraya T., Wienke A., Zierz S. Ice cream headache in students and family history of headache: a cross-sectional epidemiological study. Neurol., 2016, vol. 263, no. 6, Jun., pp. 1106–1110. doi: 10.1007/s00415-016-8098-z.
- Chernyshov Vitaly V.
- Candidate of Medical Sciences, Associate Professor, Department of Obstetrics and Gynecology named after G.M. Vorontsova, Chuvash State University, Russia, Cheboksary (email@example.com; )
- Golenkov Andrey V.
- Doctor of Medical Sciences, Professor, Head of the Department of Psychiatry, Medical Psychology and Neurology, Chuvash State University, Russia, Cheboksary (firstname.lastname@example.org; ORCID: https://orcid.org/0000-0002-3799-0736)
- Orlov Fedor V.
- Candidate of Medical Sciences, Docent of Psychiatry, Medical Psychology and Neurology, Chuvash State University, Russia, Cheboksary (email@example.com; )
Orlov F., Golenkov A., Chernyshov V. Headache in students: prevalence, structure, provocative factors [Electronic resource] // Acta medica Eurasica. – 2018. – №2. P. 27-34. – URL: http://acta-medica-eurasica.ru/en/single/2018/2/5/.