Budylina M., Rodionov V., Ivanova O., Maksimova T., Egorova I., Tarasova N., Koloyartseva E., Abrukova A.
Heterogeneous structure of pediatric diabetes mellitus at the present stage
Keywords: diabetes mellitus in children and adolescents, heterogeneous structure of diabetes mellitus, pediatric type 1 diabetes, pediatric type 2 diabetes, monogenic forms of pediatric diabetes, neonatal diabetes mellitus
With advance of modern diagnostics methods and molecular genetics heterogeneous structure of pediatric diabetes became evident. The latest classification of the diabetes mellitus (DM) based on etiological principle (ISPAD, 2014) is provided as an example. According to data for 2016 concerning diabetes mellitus structure in the Chuvash Republic type 1 diabetes was diagnosed in 96,8% (212 persons) of children and adolescents, other types of DM (type 2 DM – 1 person, MODY – 4 persons, lipoatrophic DM – 1 person, neonate DM –1 person) were diagnosed in 3.2% (7 persons).A brief characteristic is provided for some types of pediatric diabetes mellitus: that of type1 diabetes, type 2 diabetes, MODY and neonate diabetes. The article describes clinical cases of type 1 DM, type 2 DM, MODY and neonate DM, which were diagnosed in children who received treatment in the state-financed institution «Republican children's clinical hospital» of the Chuvash Republic Public Health Ministry. Heterogeneous DM structure in children is noted to condition the need to define more accurately not only the fact of existing diabetes mellitus, but its type as well for elaborating future therapeutic tactics and goals for patient education, risks of complications, and medical genetic consultation.
- Dedov I.I., Shestakov M.V. Sakharnyi diabet: diagnostika, lechenie, profilaktika [Diabetes Mellitus: diagnosis, treatment, prevention]. Moscow, 2011, 808 p.
- Dedov I.I., Shestakova M.V., Vikulova O.K. Gosudarstvennyi registr sakharnogo diabet v Rossiiskoi Federatsii: status 2014 g. i perspektivy razvitiya [National register of diabetes mellitus in Russian Federation]. Sakharnyi diabet, 2015, vol.18, 3, pp. 5–23.
- Kuraeva T.L., Peterkova V.A. Klinika, diagnostika, differentsial‘naya diagnostika i lechenie sakharnogo diabeta 2 tipa u detei I podrostkov: posobie dlya vrachei [Clinic, diagnostics, differential diagnostics and treatment of diabetes type 2 in children and adolescents. Manual for doctors]. Moscow, 2009, 52 p.
- Minibaeva A. MODY-diabet: Chto vazhno znat’? [MODY-diabetes. What is important to know?]. Available at: http://actendocrinology.ru/archives/3993.
- Peterkova V.A., ed. Sakharnyi diabet u detei I podrostkov. Konsensus ISPAD po klinicheskoi praktike: 2009 god [ISPAD Clinical Practice Consensus Guidelines 2009 Compendium. Pediatr Diabetes 2009] Moscow, 2009, 239 p.
- Sakharnyi diabet u detei I podrostkov: konsensus ISPAD po klinicheskoi praktike: 2014 god [Pediatric and adolescent diabetes ISPAD clinikal practice consensus guidelines 2014]. Moscow, GEOTAR-Media Publ., 2016, 656 p.
- Sechko E.A., Kuraeva T.L., Zil’berman L.I., Ivanova O.N., Peterkova V.A. MODY3 u detei i podrostkov. Molekulyarno-geneticheskaya osnova i kliniko-laboratornye proyavleniya [MODY3 in the children and adolescents: the molecular-genetic basis and clinico-laboratory manifestations]. Problemy endokrinologii [Problems of Endocrinology], 2015, no. 3, vol. 61, pp. 16–22.
- Dedov I.I., Peterkova V.A., eds. Federal’nye klinicheskie rekomendatsii (protokoly) po vedeniy u detei s endokrinnymi zabolevaniyami [Federal clinical recommendations (protocols) for the management of children with endocrine diseases]. Moscow, Praktika Publ., 2014, 442 p.
- Definition and Diagnosis of Diabetes Mellitus and Intermediate Hyperglycaemia: Report of a WHO/IDF Consultation. Geneva, Switzerland, Word Health Organization, 2006.
- Diagnosis and classification of diabetes mellitus. Diabetes Care, 2014, vol. 37 (suppl. 1), pp. 81–90.
- Fajans S.S., Bell G.I. MODY: history, genetics, pathophysiology, and clinical decision making. Diabetes Care, 2011, vol. 34, pp. 1878–1884.
- Fajans S.S., Bell G.I., Polonsky K.S. Molecular mechanisms and clinical pathophysiology of maturityonset diabetes of the young. NEnglJMed, 2001, vol. 345, pp. 971–980.
- Lambert A.P., Gillespie K.M., Thomson Get al. Absolut risk of childhood-onset type 1 diabetes defined by human leukocyte antigen class II genotype: a population-based study in the United Kingdom. J ClinEndocrinolMetab, 2004, vol. 89, pp. 4037–4043.
- Nguyen C., Varney M.D., Harrison L.C., Morahan G. Definition of high-risk type 1 diabetes HLA-DR and HLA-DQ types using only three single nucleotide polymorphisms. Diabetes, 2013, vol. 62, pp. 2135–2140.
- Noble J.A., Valdes A.M., Cook M., Klitz W., Thomson G., Erlich H.A. The role of HLA class II genes in insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus: molecular analysis of 180 Caucasian, multiplex families. J. Hum. Genet., 1996, vol. 59, pp. 1134–1148.
- Standards of medical care of diabetes – 2014. Diabetes Care, 2014, vol. 37 (suppl.1), рр. 14–80.
- Abrukova Anna Victorovna
- clinical geneticist, "Presidential Perinatal Center", Russia, Cheboksary (email@example.com)
- Budylina Marina Valerievna
- candidate of medical sciences, pediatrics and pediatric surgery department associate professor, Chuvash State University, Russia, Cheboksary (M-Budylina2007@yandex.ru)
- Egorova Inna Nikolaevna
- candidate of medical sciences, associate professor of pediatrics, Republican Pediatric Clinical Hospital, Russia, Cheboksary (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Ivanova Olga Nikolaevna
- pediatrics and pediatric surgery department assistant, Chuvash State University, Russia, Cheboksary (email@example.com)
- Koloyartceva Elena Mikhailovna
- neonatologist, Republican Pediatric Clinical Hospital, Russia, Cheboksary (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Maksimova Tatiana Yurievna
- endocrinologist, Republican Pediatric Clinical Hospital, Russia, Cheboksary
- Rodionov Vladimir Anatolievich
- doctor of medical sciences, professor, pediatrics and pediatric surgery department head, Chuvash State University, Russia, Cheboksary (email@example.com)
- Tarasova Nina Gennadievna
- pathology of newborns and premature babies unit head, neonatologist, Republican Pediatric Clinical Hospital, Russia, Cheboksary (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Budylina M., Rodionov V., Ivanova O., Maksimova T., Egorova I., Tarasova N., Koloyartseva E., Abrukova A. Heterogeneous structure of pediatric diabetes mellitus at the present stage [Electronic resource] // Acta medica Eurasica. – 2017. – №3. P. 1-12. – URL: http://acta-medica-eurasica.ru/en/single/2017/3/1/.