UDC: 614.88:614.256.6 (470.344-25)
Deomidov E., Sorokin E., Mylova A., Chalkina Yа.
Cases of patients’ aggressive behaviour according to the poll of emergency medical service workers
The article analyzes cases of patients’ aggression when rendering emergency medical service in Cheboksary. Questionnaire survey using an adapted earlier questionnaire of 55 health workers of emergency medical service (men – 34, women – 21) aged from 21 years old to 60 years old (among them 34 persons younger than 30 years old) was carried out. 96.4% of paramedics faced threatened violence or aggression in the course of their work, among them 89.1% faced verbal and physical aggression, 7.3% faced only verbal aggression. Aggressive behavior of patients is connected with the use of psychoactive substances (alcohol), cognitive disturbances, provocative behavior of relatives and people around. Aggressive behavior is a very widespread phenomenon faced by all ambulance workers. There is a need for development of materials for the best awareness and readiness of health workers to resist aggression.
- Vertkin A.L. Skoraya pomoshch’: rukovodstvo dlya fel’dsherov i medsester [Ambulance: a management for paramedics and nurses]. Moscow, Eksmo Publ., 2010, 440 p.
- Golenkov A.V. Udovletvorennost’ rabotoy i terminal’nye tsennosti u meditsinskikh sester [Job satisfaction and terminal values in nurses]. Glavnaya meditsinskaya sestra [Chief nurse], 2009, no. 11, pp. 137–146.
- Golenkov A.V. Agressivnye deystviya psikhicheski bol’nykh v statsionare: diagnostika, standarty ukhoda i nablyudeniya [Aggressive actions mentally sick in a hospital: diagnostics, care standards and observations]. Meditsinskaya sestra [Medical sister], 2012, no. 6, pp. 23–25.
- Golenkov A.V., Averin A.V. Sestrinskiy protsess v psikhiatrii [Sisterly process in psychiatry:]. Cheboksary, Chuvash State Univesity Publ., 2003, 200 p.
- Golenkov A.V., Sedova A.A. Agressivnoe povedenie: rezul’taty nablyudeniya i oprosa personala [Aggressive behavior: results of observation and poll of personnel]. Meditsinskaya sestra. [Medical sister], 2011, no. 7, pp. 7–10.
- Golenkov A.V., Underov D.A. Agressivnoe povedenie psikhicheski bol’nykh pri okazanii im skoroy psikhiatricheskoy pomoshchi [Aggressive behavior of the mentally patients in the emergency psychiatric care]. Psikhicheskoe zdorov’e [Mental Health], 2016, vol.14, no. 1(116), pp. 9–15.
- Golenkov A.V., Underov D.A., Averin A.V. Osobennosti raboty meditsinskogo personala skoroy psikhiatricheskoy pomoshchi pri obsluzhivanii psikhicheski bol’nykh s agressivnymi tendentsiyami [Features of work of a medical personnel of emergency mental health services in mentally sick with aggressive tendencies]. Glavnaya meditsinskaya sestra [Chief nurse], 2014, no. 9, pp. 113–128.
- Belayachi J., Berrechid K., Amlaiky F., Zekraoui A., Abouqal R. Violence toward physicians in emergency departments of Morocco: prevalence, predictive factors, and psychological impact. Occup. Med. Toxicol., 2010, Sep. 28, vol. 5, p. 27.
- Ferri P., Silvestri M., Artoni C., Di Lorenzo R. Workplace violence in different settings and among various health professionals in an Italian general hospital: a cross-sectional study. Res. Behav. Manag., 2016, Sep., vol. 23, no. 9, pp. 263–275.
- Irvine A.B., Bourgeois M., Billow M., Seeley J.R. Internet training for nurse aides to prevent resident aggression. Am. Med. Dir. Assoc., 2007, Oct., vol. 8, no. 8, pp. 519–526.
- Gates D.M., Ross C.S., McQueen L. Violence against emergency department workers. Emerg. Med., 2006, Oct., vol. 31, no. 3, pp. 331–337.
- Zafar W., Siddiqui E., Ejaz K., Shehzad M.U., Khan U.R., Jamali S., Razzak J.A. Health care personnel and workplace violence in the emergency departments of a volatile metropolis: results from Karachi, Pakistan. Emerg Med., 2013, Nov., vol. 45, no. 5, pp. 761–772.
- Deomidov Evgeny Sergeevich
- candidate of medical sciences, psychiatry, medical psychology and neurology department associate professor, Chuvash State University, Russia, Cheboksary (firstname.lastname@example.org; )
- Sorokin Evgeny Anatolievich
- medical faculty 6th year student, Chuvash State University, Russia, Cheboksary (email@example.com; )
- Mylova Anna Yurievna
- medical faculty 5th year student, Chuvash State University, Russia, Cheboksary (firstname.lastname@example.org; )
- Chalkina Yana Sergeevna
- reception and addresses transmission nurse, Emergency Hospital, Russia, Cheboksary (email@example.com; )
Deomidov E., Sorokin E., Mylova A., Chalkina Yа. Cases of patients’ aggressive behaviour according to the poll of emergency medical service workers [Electronic resource] // Acta medica Eurasica. – 2017. – №1. P. 32-36. – URL: http://acta-medica-eurasica.ru/en/single/2017/1/6/.