Kozlov V., Golenkova V., Deomidov E.
Nicotine dependence in university students
Features of nicotine dependence (ND) in university students, motives of tobacco smoking (TS) and their readiness for tobacco cessation are studied. Using Fagerström'stechnique,V.F. Levshin and of E.S. Souza et al. Scale 192 smoking students (60 girls, 132 young men) aged 16-26 years (average age 20,1±2,4 years) who study at universities of Chuvashia are sampled (120 at junior courses, 72 at senior ones; 78 at the medical faculty, other – 114). ND is found in 51% of respondents (weak – in 38%, moderate – in 8,3%, heavy – in 4,7%). ND was found more often in young men who began TS, had a longer experience of TS, they gave preference to cigarettes with high nicotine and tars content, than smoking girls. Junior students started TS much earlier (at 15,2±2,1 vs 17,1±2,4 in girls). Medical students were significantly older, had a longer experience of TS, more often made attempts of tobacco cessation, their breaks in ts were longer. In the population of university students negative tendencies which are shown at earlier beginning of ts are observed (in comparison with senior students), and medical students don’tdiffer in their smoking status from students of other specialties.
- Golenkov A.V. Sotsial‘no–psikhologicheskie osobennosti tabachnoi zavisimosti u zhitelei Chuvashii [Social and psychological features of tobacco dependence in Chuvashia]. Narkologiya [Narcology], 2013, vol. 12, no. 1, pp. 28–32.
- Golenkov A.V. Otnoshenie studentov-medikov k tabakokureniyu i ikh gotovnost’ k okazaniyu pomoshchi kuril’shchikam [Attitude of medical students to tobacco smoking and their readiness for assistant to smokers]. Narkologiya [Narcology], 2015, vol. 14, no. 7, pp. 80–83.
- Golenkov A.V., Andreeva A.P. Psikhologicheskaya sklonnost’ studentov-medikov k alkogolizatsii [Medical students’ psychological propensity to alcohol abuse]. Vestnik psikhiatrii i psikhologii Chuvashii [The Bulletin of Chuvash Psychiatry and Psychology], 2010, no. 6, pp. 37–45.
- Korchagina G.A., Fadeeva E.V., Ogurtsov P.P., Grigor’eva A.A. Izuchenie rasprostranennosti potrebleniya psikhoaktivnykh veshchestv v studencheskoi srede [Studying of prevalence of consumption of psychoactive substances in the student’s environment]. Narkologiya [Narcology], 2012, vol. 11, no. 12(132), pp. 37–43.
- Levshin V.F. Tabakizm: patogenez, diagnostika i lechenie [Tabakizm: pathogenesis, diagnostics and treatment]. Moscow, IMA-PRESS Publ., 2012, 128 p.
- Opros vzroslogo naseleniya o potreblenii tabaka [Poll of adult population about tobacco consumption]. Cheboksary, 2011, 16 p.
- Ivanets N.N., Anokhina I.P., Vinnikova M.A., eds. Narkologiya: natsional’noe rukovodstvo [Narcology: national manual]. Moscow, GEOTAR-Media Publ., 2008, 720 p.
- Romanov S.N., Nikolaev E.L., Golenkov A.V. Sravnitel’noe issledovanie adaptivnykh kharakteristik lichnosti u studentov i vrachei [Comparative study of personality adaptive traits in medical students and doctors]. Vestnik Chuvashskogo universiteta, 2012, no. 3, pp. 469–473.
- La Torre G., Kirch W., Bes-Rastrollo M., Ramos R.M., Czaplicki M., Gualano M.R., Thümmler K., Ricciardi W., Boccia A. Tobacco use among medical students in Europe: results of a multicentre study using the Global Health Professions Student Survey. Public Health, 2012, Feb., vol. 126, 2, pp. 159–164.
- Souza E.S., Crippa J.A.P., Pasian S.R., Martinez J.A. University of São Paulo Reasons for Smoking Scale: a new tool for the evaluation of smoking motivation. Bras. Pneumol., 2010, Nov.-Dec., vol. 36, no. 6, pp. 768–778.
- Tamaki T., Kaneita Y., Ohida T., Yokoyama E., Osaki Y., Kanda H., Takemura S., Hayashi K. Prevalence of and factors associated with smoking among Japanese medical students. Epidemiol., 2010, vol. 20, no. 4, pp. 339–345.
- Warren C.W., Sinha D.N., Lee J., Lea V., Jones N.R. Tobacco use, exposure to secondhand smoke, and cessation counseling among medical students: cross-country data from the Global Health Professions Student Survey, 2005-2008. BMC Public Health., 2011, Feb. 1, vol. 11, p. 72.
- Yang T., Yu L., Bottorff J.L., Wu D., Jiang S., Peng S., Young K.J. Global Health Professions Student Survey in Tobacco Control in China. J. Health Behav., 2015, Sep., vol. 39, no. 5, pp. 732–741.
- Kozlov Vadim A.
- Doctor of Biological Sciences, Professor of Department Medical Biology with a Course in Microbiology and Virology, Chuvash State University, Russia, Cheboksary (firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Deomidov Evgeny Sergeevich
- candidate of medical sciences, psychiatry, medical psychology and neurology department associate professor, Chuvash State University, Russia, Cheboksary (email@example.com)
- Golenkova Valeriya Andreevna
- medical faculty 5th year student, Chuvash State University, Russia, Cheboksary (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Kozlov V., Golenkova V., Deomidov E. Nicotine dependence in university students [Electronic resource] // Acta medica Eurasica. – 2016. – №2. P. 12-17. – URL: http://acta-medica-eurasica.ru/en/single/2016/2/3/