Andreeva N., Pavlova S.
Anty-cancer activity of syntetic flavonoid in vitro
In terms of the research and development of new targeted anticancer drugs in recent years plant polyphenols (flavonoids) have attracted much attention. Studies have recently shown that flavonoids can affect the molecular mechanisms of oncogenic processes. Therefore the aim of this paper was to study the antitumor activity of synthetic chalcone (SCh, flavonoid with open pyran ring) 1-(2-hydroxyphenyl)-3-(4-methoxyphenyl)prop-2-en-1-one in vitro using human tumor cell cultures such as MOLT-4 and HeLa. The impact of SCh to cell viability was tested by MTT test and by the evaluation of the absolute number of tumor cells during SCh exposition, proapoptogenic effect of SCh was tested by flow cytometry. It was found that the SCh time- and dose-dependent inhibits tumor cell grew and induces apoptosis in the test culture cells. Analysis of the data suggests that apoptogenic action of SCh is related to cell cycle arrest in G2 / M phase. Thus, further study of anticancer properties of 1-(2-hydroxyphenyl)-3-(4-methoxyphenyl) prop-2-en-1-one seems to be promising in terms of developing a new antitumor agent.
- Pavlova S.I. Ispol‘zovanie ekstrakta kornya solodki dlya povysheniya effektivnosti terapii zlokachesvtennykh novoobrazovanii: dis. … kand. med. nauk [Use of licorice root extract to improve the efficiency of malignant tumor therapy. PhD ]. Moscow, 2005, 120 p.
- Pavlova S.I. Immunosupressivnye i protivoopukholevye farmakodinamicheskie effekty flavonoidov kornei solodki: avtoref. … dis. d–ra med. nauk [The immunosuppressive and anticancer pharmacodynamic effects of licorice root flavonoids. Diss.]. Moscow, 2012, 48 p.
- Tarakhovskii Yu.S., Kim Yu.A., Abdrasilov B.S., Muzafarov E.N. Flavonoidy: biokhimiya, biofizika, meditsina [Flavonoids: biochemistry, biophysics, medicine]. Pushchino, Synchrobook Publ., 2013, 310 p.
- Abu Bakar M.F., Ahmad N.E., Suleiman M., Rahmat A., Isha A. Garcinia dulcis Fruit Extract Induced Cytotoxicity and Apoptosis in HepG2 Liver Cancer Cell Line. Biomed Res Int., 2015, doi: 10.1155/2015/916902.
- Bosch-Barrera J., Menendez J.A. Silibinin and STAT3: A natural way of targeting transcription factors for cancer therapy. Cancer Treat. Rev., 2015, vol. 41, no. 6, pp. 540–546.
- Cheon S.Y., Chung K.S., Jeon E., Nugroho A., Park H.J., An H.J. Anti-inflammatory Activity of Saxifragin via Inhibition of NF-κB Involves Caspase-1 Activation. Nat. Prod., 2015, vol. 78, no. 7, pp. 1579–1585.
- Gatouillat G., Magid A.A., Bertin E., El btaouri H., Morjani H., Lavaud C., Madoulet C. Medicarpin and millepurpan, two flavonoids isolated from Medicago sativa, induce apoptosis and overcome multidrug resistance in leukemia P388 cells. Phytomedicine, 2015, vol. 22, no. 13, pp. 1186–1194.
- Harrison M., Holen K., Liu G. Beyond taxanes: a review of novel agents that target mitotic tubulin and microtubules, kinases, and kinesins. Adv. Hematol. Oncol., 2009, no. 7, pp. 54–64.
- Isa N.M., Abdelwahab S.I., Mohan S., Abdul A.B., Sukari M.A., Taha M.M., Syam S., Narrima P., Cheah S.Ch., Ahmad S., Mustafa M.R. In vitro anti-inflammatory, cytotoxic and antioxidant activities of boesenbergin A, a chalcone isolated from Boesenbergia rotunda (L.) (fingerroot). J Med. Biol. Res., 2012, vol. 45, no. 6, pp. 524–530.
- Kommidi D.R., Pagadala R., Rana S., Singh P., Shintre S.A., Koorbanally N.A., Jonnala-gadda S.B., Moodley B. Novel carbapenem chalcone derivatives: synthesis, cytotoxicity and molecular docking studies. Biomol. Chem., 2015, vol. 13, no. 14, pp. 4344–4350.
- Leão M., Soares J., Gomes S., Raimundo L., Ramos H., Bessa C., Queiroz G., Domingos S., Pinto M., Inga A., Cidade H., Saraiva L. Enhanced cytotoxicity of prenylated chalcone against tumour cells via disruption of the p53-MDM2 interaction. Life Sci., 2015, no. 142, pp. 60–65.
- Mather J.P., Roberts P.E. Introduction to cell and tissue culture. Theory and technique. New York: Plenum Press, 1998, 241 p.
- Olaru O.T., Venables L., VAN DE Venter M., Nitulescu G.M., Margina D., Spandidos D.A., Tsatsakis A.M. Anticancer potential of selected Fallopia Adans species. Oncol Lett., 2015, vol. 10, no. 3, pp. 1323–1332.
- Singh G., Arora A., Mangat S.S. Rani S., Kaur H., Goyal K., Sehgal R., Maurya I.K., Tewari R., Choquesillo-Lazarte D., Sahoo S., Kaur N. Design, synthesis and biological evaluation of chalconyl blended triazole allied organosilatranes as giardicidal and trichomonacidal agents. J. Med. Chem., 2016, no. 108, pp. 287–300.
- Wang L.H., Li H.H., Li M., Wang S., Jiang X.R., Li Y., Ping G.F., Cao Q., Liu X., Fang W.H., Chen G.L., Yang J.Y., Wu C.F. SL4, a chalcone-based compound, induces apoptosis in human cancer cells by activation of the ROS/MAPK signalling pathway. Cell Prolif., 2015, vol. 48, no. 6, pp. 718–728.
- Xia Y., Lian S., Khoi P.N., Yoon H.J., Han J.Y., Chay K.O., Kim K.K., Jung Y.D. Chrysin inhibits cell invasion by inhibition of Recepteur d’origine Nantais via suppressing early growth response-1 and NF-κB transcription factor activities in gastric cancer cells. J. Oncol., 2015, vol. 46, no. 4, pp. 1835–1843.
- Zhou B., Xing C. Diverse Molecular Targets for Chalcones with Varied Bioactivities. Chem. (Los Angeles), 2015, vol. 5, no. 8, pp. 388–404.
- Andreeva Natalia Alexandrovna
- medical faculty 6th year student, Chuvash State University, Russia, Cheboksary (email@example.com)
- Pavlova Svetlana I.
- Doctor of Medical Sciences, Head of the Department of Pharmacology, Clinical Pharmacology and Biochemistry, Chuvash State University, Russia, Cheboksary (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Andreeva N., Pavlova S. Anty-cancer activity of syntetic flavonoid in vitro [Electronic resource] // Acta medica Eurasica. – 2016. – №1. P. 41-49. – URL: http://acta-medica-eurasica.ru/en/single/2016/1/6/.